Thursday, May 2, 2013

Universal problem, unless you have magical genes.


I had a microdermabrasion treatment two days. My skin felt very clean and tingly the day after for about four hours...and then I turned into an itchy and irritated mess. I've gotten this treatment before and remember a day or two of raw looking skin... but this turned me into a dinosaur. I am moisturizing like a psycho and waiting for my skin to go back to normal!

The spa technician told me that microdermabrasion and chemical peels would help tighten my skin and help fade my pesky acne scars fade over time. The technician was also wearing hoops the size of my head (that's fine, but there's a time and a place, lady) and told me all about her relationship drama at the club and her experience popping her boyfriend's acne. At home. Not at the club.

I had very painful cystic-acne from the ages of 13-16. Before I went on Accutane, my dermatologist convinced me to get steroid shots on my blemished skin as a way to alleviate the acne.

BEAUTY IS PAIN!

I remember being desperate to have clear skin so I was willing to jab needles into irritated skin! The treatment was not as effective as Accutane (but that came with its own drama...) and I was eventually left with some scars on my cheeks. For the most part, I've accepted them. I do however think that nice skin should be a universal right, like the access to clean water and education (...don't get me started...) My little scars look like freckles from a distance; they're barely noticeable when I'm done-up or really tan (according to my mom), but I know they're there.  

So, here I am. Giving a pep talk to my skin scars and telling you about microdermabrasion. The lessons learned are to 1) love yourself regardless of a skin eruption or two; 2) Reconsider going to home-girl spa just because it was a very affordable Groupon.

In the meantime, I am treating my skin by continuing to wash-tone-moisturize as I normally would with:

Products bought in the US
*Bought at a drugstore in my town 



*Bought at an organic market in my town 

 *Bought at a drugstore in my town


And the ultimate life-saver!!!!!!:






Products bought abroad:


Crema Lechuga = Lettuce Cream
This is very similar to Vaseline in that it's very greasy. Lettuce contains a ton of water so... big surprise here...the cream is great for super dry skin!

If you have a miracle solution/tip for me and/or invented LaMer (I'm just assuming it's awesome because I can't even afford the free sample that comes in magazines, because it's so awesome it doesn't need free publicity) please contact me, ASAP. There is a boy to see and make-out with, and I can't seduce him looking like a dinosaur.

No comments:

Post a Comment