Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Experiments (shampoo and face toner)

My blalking (bog+stalking) of inspirational random chicks yesterday led me to LOVE CHUGS via The Skinny Confidential  and consequently, I decided to try some of the natural home remedy tricks they rave about. 

First on the agenda was washing hair without shampoo. 
Background Info: My hair is in fairly decent shape, in that I stopped dying it and using heating tools to style it 2 years ago (when I went through a very holistic phase...that I'm getting back into now). By leaving my hair alone, it grew long fairly quickly and became something that I never stressed about. Drinking Kombucha also helped it become very shiny and silky.  My natural color is a medium golden brown-- which I  love... but life events  tricked me into changing my hair as a quick fix to feeling more in-control and different  (cue the dyes).Slowly but surely, my hair became more brittle and lifeless again. When I finally came to my senses, I promptly got a hair cut to trim up my ends and started leaving my hair alone. Again. 

As the ladies explain, respectively, shampoos strip your hair of the natural oils that would keep your hair looking awesome if you would just let them stay on your head!


Baking soda used as a cleaning agent, on the other hand, will remove build-up and regulate the pH of your scalp. Hmm...



I tried it. 
My hair is very clean and feels light—but also has a very slight "dried hairspray" texture, which I'm assuming comes from all the alkaline. My plan is to see how long the cleanliness lasts before it's imperative that I wash it again. 

There's a quick work-place bathroom selfie. I let my hair air-dry and I didn't apply ANY products to it post baking soda wash.
The second trick they recommended was using Apple Cider Vinegar for a variety of issues. I love ACV and have taken it before, but never to condition my hair or tone my skin! *Make sure you dilute it with water* before you apply it to your body, since it's VINEGAR... aka it's acidic! I still have some microdermabrasion breakouts so I decided to be more of a heathen and applied the ACV right on a blemish. It stung and all the vinegar on my face made my eyes water. I woke up this morning and the skin on that area was still pink, but smoother and less angry looking!



Not to be a buzzkill, but I  decided to do a little bit more research to learn about baking soda's properties and if there were any negatives to using it. I'm just wired that way! I like to be informed. 
I came across this, so read it, and then go mash an avocado/grab some mayo/get a regular hair oil and mask and dump it on your head to nourish your hair. Done deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment